Thursday, April 12, 2012

Attacking Family Members Is Okay...Depending On Who You Are

As a quick follow-up to the last message, here's something to keep in mind in the light of the Obama administration's opening attack on Ann Romney.  Recall back in 2008 when Michelle claimed that her husband's nomination was the first time in her life that she'd been proud of America.  The GOP used that statement to question Obama's intentions toward this nation.  At the time, Obama said this (emphasis mine)...

"The GOP, should I be the nominee, I think can say whatever they want to say about me, my track record," Obama said. "I've been in public life for 20 years. I expect them to pore through everything that I've said, every utterance, every statement. And to paint it in the most undesirable light possible. That's what they do."

"But I do want to say this to the GOP. If they think that they're going to try to make Michelle an issue in this campaign, they should be careful. Because that I find unacceptable," he said.

Obama praised his wife's patriotism and said that for Republicans "to try to distort or to play snippets of her remarks in ways that are unflattering to her I think is just low class ... and especially for people who purport to be promoters of family values, who claim that they are protectors of the values and ideals and the decency of the American people to start attacking my wife in a political campaign I think is detestable."

Obama later added, "I think that the American people also would like to see some restoration of decency to this process. And when you start attacking family members, there's a lack of decency there."

And this was addressing a response to a statement that was clearly uttered in a political setting for a political purpose.  The attack on Ann Romney was completely unjustified, unsolicited, and unwarranted.

Mm-hmmm...

Like I said, it's going to get ugly and dirty.  Maybe it's a good thing Romney was practicing his scorched-earth campaigning on the other GOP candidates.  He may need those skills (whether or not he chooses to use them is another question entirely)...

No comments:

Post a Comment