Monday, November 25, 2013

Anyone Need Some Extra Online Storage?

[Commence PSA...]

If anyone is looking for some additional online storage (i.e. Dropbox), send me an email and I'll hook you up right away.  I have one service that is currently doing a promo where any new member gets 6GB if I refer them, and another one that is still doing a whopping 15GB for new users plus an additional 5GB if I refer you.  Both of these are free, and just require you to sign up for an account (obviously) and then install the desktop client on your home computer.  Both provide real-time sync'ing with your computer, both are easy to install and use, and both have accompanying smartphone apps.  This way you get not only a free backup system for your most important files/pictures/videos, but you also have access to all of your stuff on the go from your phone and/or tablet.  Most tech companies and products nowadays are targeting cloud solutions for precisely these reasons, so if you don't yet have this rolling -- or if you just have the measly standard 2GB from Dropbox -- let me know and I'll get you started.

Why am I mentioning this?  Two reasons.

First, it's the 21st century, and everyone who has any kind of viable presence online and a smartphone really should have something like this in place.  I hate to see people go through loads of pain and hassle when things go south with their computer, especially when it could have been avoided.  Trust me when I tell you that using online storage services like this can save you a monster headache if your home computer is lost or stolen (or the hard drive crashes), and it can also save your bacon in the event that you need access to your stuff while you're away from home (being in school right now, homework assignments come readily to my mind, but work presentations and documents also fit here).  You get all that benefit, and it's free, easy, and convenient.  Don't worry about security, either - both of these services are reputable, and I trust them with my own stuff.  The big services like these now have very good encryption in place, so you are as safe as you can be without going completely offline.

Second, most of these online storage companies know that they have one chance to quickly build a user base, and that's when they're early in their life cycle.  So, when they first come out they often try to make a splash and generate buzz by giving away lots of extra storage space for free, not only for new users but also for new users via referrals from existing users - in most cases, both the new user and the existing user get extra space once the new user is installed and running.  I've snagged over 120GB of free online storage this way over the past 12-18 months, which is equivalent to at least $120 a year and a whole lot of assurance that our stuff is both secured and available.  By getting started with a referral like I'm proposing is a great way to not only put in place some key benefits for yourself, but also to maximize those benefits.

So, if you're reading this and hearing a little voice in your head that says, "Yeah, I really should do this..." then send me an email to let me know you want in.  I'll send you the invites from my accounts, and I'll even help you walk through the process of setting everything up if you need it.  Once you're installed and running, the extra space will magically appear on your online account, and you're off to the races!

Go for it!

[This concludes the PSA...]

No comments:

Post a Comment