Thursday, July 18, 2013

I'm Way More Excited About This Than I Should Probably Admit

From Android Central:

May the Pork be with you

Rovio continues to milk the Angry Birds franchise for every thing it's worth, and coming this September the latest -- Angry Birds Star Wars II -- will be launching on app stores worldwide. This time though, there's a new piece of merchandising that fans of the series, as well as Star Wars fans, are going to be excited about.

They're called TELEPODS, and they bring more to the table than your typical plushie or keychain figurine. As you can see in the video after the break, they are action figures of your favorite Angry Birds Star Wars characters, that can be imported right into the game. Place the base of the figure on your phone or tablets camera and they're instantly available as a playable character.

Also new is the ability to choose your faction, and you can play as part of the good or evil side -- or "Pork Side" as Rovio puts it. All in all, this latest looks to breathe new life into the most popular mobile gaming series of all time. We'll give it a good long look this coming September.


You know I love Star Wars, but I also enjoy me some Angry Birds, so this is a natural win for me.  Even more importantly, the tie-ins with the little physical toys is actually a really slick idea that I believe was pioneered by the Skylanders game series.  It's a marketing model that makes a whole lot of sense and has the potential to tie together a lot of platforms in a way that would make it far easier and more convenient to be a consumer.  I know Disney is working with the Skylanders platform and will be coming out with something related soon, and with Rovio jumping on the bandwagon I think we'll start seeing a lot more of this in the months to come.  Regardless, I'm looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment