Thursday, March 15, 2012

I Just Tested The iPad 3 New iPad Whatever It's Called

I won't go into the details of exactly how because I wouldn't want to get anyone in trouble...but I just had my hands on the latest iPad!  That's right, the hyper-anticipated much-ballyhooed release of Apple's latest tablet -- that isn't officially released until tomorrow -- was in my hands less than 60 minutes ago!

I only got to play with it for about 1 minute, but I have two immediate observations.

1. The screen is really, really good.  I brought up a clip of a movie that was loaded on it, and it was that same kind of crystal clarity that you see when watching a Blu-Ray movie on a high-definition TV.  It may not have been perfect, but to my eye it might as well have been.

2. The response was much snappier than the iPad 2.  I've read conflicting reports about the exact processor and amount of memory that's in this new version, but whatever it ended up being it is clearly a speed upgrade.  Not blinding speed, mind you, but a noticeable improvement.  Apps opened quickly, the screen-scrolling was very snappy, and it just felt more responsive somehow.

That's about as much as I had a chance to test out, though I will also say that the physical size and shape were essentially identical to the iPad 2, as well.  I would imagine most cases will probably fit both, but it's always best to be certain before you buy.

Bottom line: this seems like a really nice incremental product improvement.  Apple's massive lead in this particular product segment isn't likely to diminish because of the new version.

And that's coming from an admitted (not to mention proud) Android apologist.  ;)

Nevertheless, it's fun to get lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to play with the latest high-tech gizmos before they're publicly available.


No comments:

Post a Comment