Tuesday, January 18, 2011

An Excellent Soundtrack

You may or may not know that my favorite music to listen to is movie soundtracks. I actually can't remember the last time I purchased a CD or album for myself that wasn't instrumental. You can't go wrong with good classical music, but if you want something more recent you have to look at soundtracks. I think it's hands down the best music being composed nowadays. Most of the modern day 'classical' type music is that horrendously awful crap that's full of jarring dissonance and gaudy progressions that are imminently unpleasant to listen to. Half the time you can't even pick out the melody, much less reproduce it later in your mind, and what qualifies as harmony could just as easily being a symphony orchestra running for their lives because a lion was let loose on the stage. It's the kind of 'music' that you walk away from convinced that it was only written for the express purpose of winning a bet made during a drunken stupor.

IMHO, good music has a logically flowing tune that's memorable and singable, intricate harmonies that add color to the melody without getting too busy, and plays across the full range of emotion without going overboard into tackiness. With me, brass is rarely a bad thing, either. ;)

One of my latest acquisitions is the soundtrack to How To Train Your Dragon, and I've gotta say it's fantastic. The movie is a really fun, family-friendly movie, so I would definitely recommend it to anyone. When we were watching it with our kids, I recall one scene where the music leaped out at me and stuck in my brain so hard that I was about 90% sure
right then and there that I would buy the soundtrack. After checking out the previews on Amazon, it was a no brainer. Here's a brief sample.

Great stuff, I love it! So there you have it. My latest soundtrack happiness. Check it out and let me know what you think. What are your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment